2 Down 10 To Go

A week ago, on March 10th, Laurie completed her second round of chemotherapy. Her first treatment went smoothly but the following week or so did not. The side effects of the chemo made Laurie sicker than I thought possible. The first couple days when she wasn't sleeping, she said she felt like she had the flu. She had muscle aches, chills, hot flashes, headaches, nausea, etc. After the first three days these symptoms seemed to stop a little bit but then she started to have other problems like, mouth and nose sores, stomach cramping and pain, and migraine headaches. These problems lasted several days but then we worked out some medications that helped with most of these side effects. The hardest part of the treatment for me was seeing how tired Laurie would be after only doing minor things. Often her fatigue came in waves. One second she would be telling me how she felt better, only to get up and get so sick that she would have to lay down on the floor several steps away.

If you are wondering if this is blood in the syringe its not.

This is one of Laurie's chemo drugs.


Luckily for us, Laurie's mom and sister, Susie and Michelle, were here in Michigan for Laurie's first treatment and the following week. It was great to have the extra help. They gave Laurie emotional support, Kinsley structure, and kept me from getting overwhelmed.

More Chemo


This 2nd treatment was much of the same. We had thought that with the proper medications, and some preventive strategies, we would be able to keep the side effects from being so terrible and lasting so long. We made strides in some areas but were unable to solve other problems. As you can see in the pictures. Laurie still has a full head of hair (I wish I could say the same for myself) but that is likely going to change here in the next day or two. We started finding some hair around the house and today it is coming out in handfuls. Laurie wants to just shave it because it is becoming really hard to keep the house clean.


This is Laurie's medication cocktail that she takes before the start of each treatment.



Laurie's sister's, Lynsey and Haylie, have been here to help during this treatment. They have been so helpful and have really made this terrible situation more tolerable. We have family that have been VERY supportive. They have created a schedule so that we can have somebody here to help our family for each of Laurie's treatments. BEST. FAMILY. EVER!

The nurse setting Laurie's line.


Between treatments when our family is not in town, we have incredible support from our friends and church. The love, kind words, and support have been overwhelming. For those of you who have babysat, sent cards/gifts, brought meals, or even said that you were thinking of Laurie. Thank you. We hope to repay your kindness someday.

I learned a valuable lesson this last week or so that I think is worth sharing. I figure if I write it somewhere permanent I'll remember it later.


Asking for help is not a negative reflection of self or an admittance of failure, but rather a necessary exercise in humility and a positive reflection of one's ability to recognize personal limitations.


Anyway, kind of a random thought but if you know Laurie or me very well you know that we are very independent. I think its a valuable lesson that can be applied to anything. I know most people learn this when they are like twelve and can't finish a math problem but apparently I am a slow learner.


13 comments:

  1. Laurie you look great. I am sorry this is making you so sick. I am thinking and praying for you almost every minute of the day. Love you tons Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie, I freaking love you girl!! Hang in there, and no matter with hair or without you will still totally be HOT, and you know it!!!! Sending you lots of love from Utah! :)
    XOXO
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie you amaze me! I'm so sorry you've been so sick. We're still praying for you every day. (on a side note, I'm a little curious: Do they always give your chemo drugs through just a peripheral IV or are they going to put in like a port or something so it's not so harsh on your veins?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie you are so brave! I so admire the smile you have on your face in the pictures. I've been praying for you and put your name in the temple every week. I know I'm far away, but if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. I think you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie! I was so bummed to hear of all this going on in your life. I know we're not the closest of friends or anything but know that I consider you an amazing person and feel like you my brother and I all clicked from the first time we all met at the old C.O.L.W.C. I mean, how could I not feel an instant connection with another MOSS! haha Hang in there and know that I'll be praying for you. Keep smiling as well, it's golden. You hang in there too Skyler, you're a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You two show such strength. Eric and I want you to know that we are thinking of you and our hearts break for the trial you are facing right now. Laurie, you always brighten a room and it is easy to see that you are still doing that, when it could be so easy to stop being positive. You always made Eric and me feel so welcome each time we came into COLWC. You are the sweetest person. We pray for you and hope that you continually find the strength you need to keep pushing forward. Again, you guys are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart just aches as I read this post. I wish I could be there to support you guys. Laurie every time I read your blog you continue to amaze me. You are always smiling in the pictures! Skylar you made me laugh out loud about you not having a full head of hair. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laurie, I think of you and your family often. You are ALWAYS in my prayers. I can't imagine what you are going through but I want you to know that you are an amazing person. I know we have lost contact since H.S. but I still consider you a close friend and have many fond memories of you. I enjoy these updates and just wanted you to know that there are many prayers being said on your behalf...lots of love, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your family is in the Ogden Temple today Johnsons! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Skyler- Thanks for the update. Laurie- our prayers are with you. You two are a great team. You will get through all this. Love Aunt Janie and Uncle Alan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laurie, it was so refreshing to talk to you the other day. Thanks for taking the time. I really wish I could bring you dinner tonight and take Kins for the day, but mostly just want to give you a hug. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love ya Laurs and Sky! We are praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laurie and Skyler and Kinsley its has been YEARS since I've seen you guys!!! You are in my thoughts and prayers! I just watched your video of you shaving your head and bald is beautiful!!!! You are gorgeous as ever!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete