Chemotherapy

Laurie started her treatment yesterday on Thursday, Feb 24th. We started the day at 8 am with her regular labs and then met with her oncologist that talked about the many side effects that the chemotherapeutic agents cause. After that, we met with a nurse to talk more in depth about treatment and managing medications. The chemotherapy started in the afternoon and lasted just a little less than five hours.

Laurie getting prepped to begin treatment

IV line



IV bags and first chemo agent


Laurie has been feeling exhausted but has been happy to receive well wishes from family and friends. Yesterday Laurie got her book for messages. With the help of Laurie’s sisters and some close acquaintances, we received a GIANT scrapbook that Laurie will be able to put each of her letters in. I received over 100 messages.




Here is the message that introduced the book:

"Laur,

Do you like me more than a friend? YES NO MAYBE (circle one)

I couldn’t think of a better way to start this letter. I was thinking I could start off by saying “Wow! What a terrible month!” or “So this is really happening huh?” or “I wish you didn’t have to go through this” or “this is unfair” but neither of those really seemed like a good fit. If you don’t return this letter I’ll assume that you circled yes.
For the last 3 weeks I have tried my best to create something for you that I thought you would love. With the help of many, I have collected over 100 messages of support, encouragement and love for you to read. These messages are from parents, sisters, brothers and sister-in laws, cousins, nieces, nephews, and friends. They range from one line to several pages and include pictures, drawings, scriptures, jokes, poems and quotes. I will give you one message a day for the next 100 days. The purpose of these messages is to give you a different perspective from someone who loves you and wants for you to get better every day. This way you can know how special and important you are to so many people and that you are not in this fight alone. No one but God will understand exactly how you feel as you go through theses future challenges. Hopefully, these letters will lighten your load, bring a smile to your face and joy to your heart every single day."


10 comments:

  1. Skyler-what a wonderful gift to give your Darling Laurie during this hard time--how did you have the peace of mind to think of this, while you, yourself were doing through so much---Laurie-you picked the right guy for you didn't you!!! Laurie you are such a beautiful and sweet spirit!!! We love you and pray for you every day!!! Love, The Murrray's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying for you all! You are so brave and tough Laurs! That bone marrow sounds like a B!

    LOVE YA!
    Terra

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for keeping us updated. I pray for you every night Laurie. We love you guys! stay positive. you can do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cute Skyler. We love you Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. C'kemi Johnsons! Ok I just saw the link to your blog from facebook and my heart dropped reading your story. I'm so sorry! Te shkuara. Laurie you are amazing...I'm so impressed you are still smiling! Continue staying strong and courageous! I'm so glad you have Skyler to help you through this. We will most definitely keep your family in our prayers. p.s. Kinsley is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Skyler and Laurie,

    I thought I had your number in my phone, but I guess I don't. I'd love to send my condolences another way, but this will have to suffice for right now.

    I just stumbled across your blog. I am speechless about the latest happenings with Laurie. It must be the most humbling journey to be skipping through life, school, church, marriage, family, friends, and Kinsley to have this come crashing down on you. It's times like these that we remember the Lord is in charge and has a plan for your family. I just read something that I hope will give you some comfort in this time of such trial.

    "We are not alone in our little prisons here. When suffering, we may in fact be nearer to God than we’ve ever been in our entire lives. That knowledge can turn every such situation into a would-be temple. Regarding our earthly journey, the Lord has promised: “I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up” (D&C 84:88). That is an everlasting declaration of God’s love and care for us, including—and perhaps especially—in times of trouble." Elder Holland

    "Courage is not simply one of the virtues but the form of every virtue at the testing point, which means at the point of highest reality." - C.S. Lewis from A Grief Observed

    You have so many people close to you who are right by your side praying for you and cheering you on. You can do this.

    You are in my every prayer. I love you guys. Hang in there.

    Love, Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  7. You rock Laurie! Love you guys. Let's get this thing taken care of so we can start planning out our next Thanksgiving trip. Wish we were there to help you guys out a bit. You are a amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laurie and Skyler-
    I just wanted to let you guys know that I have been thinking of you and hope everything works out for you guys. My heart hurts for you though, I am SO sorry that you are going through this.
    Hang in there!
    Love
    Stacey (kimber)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone. We appreciate your kind words, prayers, and friendship. It really makes a huge difference to me and Laurie. New updates coming soon.

    Skyler

    ReplyDelete